Andy Hill is the host of the Marriage, Kids and Money Podcast which focuses on helping young families build wealth. This 5-star rated podcast was nominated as “Best New Personal Finance Podcast” by Plutus.
Outside of writing for his own weekly blog of the same name, he has been featured in Business Insider, MarketWatch, and NBC News.
This week we discuss how Andy’s life has changed since paying off his mortgage. Not not only changed in the obvious ways (no mortgage payments & thousands of dollars in interest savings) but how it has improved his families’ overall well-being. How it prepared him to have the confidence to leave a 6 figure stable income to become an entrepreneur and focus on his passion.
Who should listen:
- If you make money and you have a spouse…….you need to listen to this one.
- If you have a mortgage….I highly suggest you listen to this episode
- If you want to create a better balance between work, entrepreneurship and family life…….you should listen to this episode
What we talked about:
- How paying off your mortgage can positively impact your life in many different ways
- Andy explains his families’ financial WHY…..AKA why they make money
- We discussed how Andy paid off his mortgage 20 years early
- We discussed the ways Andy and his wife set their budget, have open communication channels about money, set monthly budget parties and how they stay true to their financial why…….which is…..strengthen their family tree.
Money and marriage:
We discuss how communicating within marriages/relationships can be difficult on its own. BUT when we add money to the mix, things get really hot. Andy shares with us the lessons he learned (and still learning) about communicating properly with his wife around money.
Andy shares how “empathy” has been his biggest asset when looking at their communication as a couple. Additionally, he speaks about the importance of not forgetting your his wife’s perspective when communicating about money.
Andy shares his money stories from when he grew up and the lessons his parents taught him and how these lessons played a role in his marriage.
Andy discusses the secrets to creating a Budget Party
- Discuss WHY you are having budget parties…..how will they impact your life
- Use a tool to track your progress (spreadsheet or Andy using Mint www.mint.com)
- Discuss and review your goals
- Be consistent in your budget parties. Andy and his wife meet once a month
- Create visuals to help you stay engage
- If you have kids, involve them!
Resources and Link:
Marriage, Kids and Money Website
Marriage, Kids and Money Podcast
Marriage, Kids and Money Facebook Page