Rick Kahler, president of Kahler Financial Group, is a life-long resident of Rapid City, SD. He began his professional career in 1973 selling and appraising real estate. He founded Kahler Financial Group in 1981. He became the first fee-only Certified Financial Planner™ (CFP®) in South Dakota in 1983 and one of the first Certified Financial Therapist-LeveI I™ in the US and the first in SD.
He is co-author four books on the psychology of money: Conscious Finance, The Financial Wisdom of Ebenezer Scrooge, Facilitating Financial Health and Wired For Wealth.
Rick has served on several national boards and is a founding board member and past Chair of the Financial Therapy Association.
In 2018, Rick received the Insiders Forum Iconoclast Award for his ground-breaking work in financial therapy. In 2017 and again in 2019, Investopedia.com named Rick one of the top 100 Most Influential Financial Advisors.
- Rick explains The Financial Wisdom of Ebenezer Scrooge and how it relates to money relationships
- We discuss the importance of knowing the difference between internal and external finances
- Rick discusses how 90% of all financial decisions are emotionally driven
- Rick speaks to the science of how we make money decisions
- Rick suggests that the first step to making sustainable financial changes is recognizing and accepting your feelings and emotions around money
- Financial Literacy is not enough
- Rick defines what is Financial Health
- At the end Rick provides insight on how we can embark on the journey to financial health. Warning, it’s not a quick fix, but like many things in life, the good things aren’t a quick fix
- We touch on how the “money system” needs to change to enable for more access to financial advice, therapy, planning etc for everyone
- Rick Website: https://kahlerfinancial.com/
- Rick’s Blog (Financial Awakening): https://kahlerfinancial.com/financial-awakenings
- Rick’s Books (Conscious Finance, The Financial Wisdom of Ebenezer Scrooge, Facilitating Financial Health and Wired For Wealth): https://kahlerfinancial.com/books-by-rick-kahler
- “We can only look as far forward as we look backwards” Rick Kahler
- “Interior finances are all the unseen underbelly that drive the behaviors on the exterior” Rick Kahler
- “We are 100% responsible for our 50% of every relationship” Dr. Ted Klontz
- “The benefit of feeling a feeling is clarity. Its being objective” Rick Kahler
- “You can’t read yourself to financial health” Rick Kahler
- Doing the interior work is critical for a thriving relationship
- Feeling a feeling is key to financial success 90% of financial decisions are emotional
- Learning and accepting your money scripts is the MOST important part of personal finances
- Living in the middle not in the extremes AKA Being Present
- Spend more time in presence is a key to happiness